Dr Alicia Hernández holds a PhD in Medicine from the Autonomous University of Madrid and is a specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. She has complemented her training with different postgraduate studies and stays abroad in prestigious hospitals such as the Mayo Clinic in the United States or the Claude Regaud Centre in France.
With an outstanding professional career, she is a reference in the field of endometriosis, a subject that is very present in her research activity. Also noteworthy is her experience in the approach to gynaecological cancer.
Her excellent scientific work has been recognised with the annual prize of the Madrid Society of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in 2004, specifically for her work entitled “Factores de pronóstico evolutivo en la endometriosis” (Evolutive prognostic factors in endometriosis).
A regular attendee at national and international conferences, she has presented more than a hundred papers and posters and has published numerous articles in scientific journals.
She is also a Professor at the Autonomous University of Madrid.
Training, Qualifications and Honours
- Degree in Medicine from the Autonomous University of Madrid, 1994 Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology through the Internal Resident Doctor Examination (MIR). University Hospital of La Paz. Madrid, 1996 – 2000.
- Doctoral thesis entitled “Factores de pronóstico evolutivo en la endometriosis” (Evolutive prognostic factors in endometriosis), carried out at the Faculty of Medicine of the Autonomous University of Madrid with an OUTSTANDING, CUM LAUDE.
- Master in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery in Gynaecology, Autonomous University of Madrid, 2005-2006.
- Master’s Degree in Senior Management of Health Services and Business Management, VI edition. Awarded by the University of Alcalá de Henares, 2009-2010.
- Annual prize of the Madrid Society of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2004 for her work entitled “Factores de pronóstico evolutivo en la endometriosis” (Evolutive prognostic factors in endometriosis).
- Rotation at the Mayo Clinic, Arizona, January 2007 (robotic surgery, Dr Magriñá).
- Stay at the Claude Regaud Centre, Toulouse. Oncological Gynaecology Centre. Dr Querleu, February 2010.
- Stay at the IRCARD Centre. Strasbourg (Laparoscopic Surgery Centre), Dr Wattiez, September 2010.
- 2013 - Present: Head of Section. Gynaecological Endoscopy. H.U. La Paz, Madrid.
- 2000 – 2013: Area Specialist Doctor (FEA) in the Gynaecology and Obstetrics Service. H. U. La Paz, Madrid.
- 2008 - Present: Endometriosis Unit Care Assistant Coordinator. H.U. La Paz, Madrid.
- 2009 - Present: Coordinator of the Committee for Gynaecological Tumours, University Hospital La Paz, Madrid.
- 2005 - Present: Member of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. H.U. La Paz, Madrid.
- 2016: Member of the Technical and Assistance Board and the Joint Committee. H.U. La Paz, Madrid.
Associate Professor, Autonomous University of Madrid
Publications, Conferences and Papers
- 15 articles indexed on Pubmed.
- 20 non-indexed articles and in national journals.
- 30 chapters in international and national books.
- Scientific communications:
80 papers at national and international courses and conferences.
20 posters at national and international conferences.
Management of 25 national and international courses.
Conferences: participation in 60 national and 20 international conferences.
- Patents: co-investigator of the project “Desarrollo y validación clínica de un método de diagnóstico de cáncer de ovario epitelial” (Development and clinical validation of a method for the diagnosis of epithelial ovarian cancer), using Proteomics tools. Foundation for Biomedical Research of the University Hospital La Paz.
- Director of 6 doctoral theses between 2010-2014
- Management of 11 Diplomas in Advanced Studies. UAM (2009-2011).
- Evaluating board in 10 doctoral thesis defences.
- Collaborating researcher in several projects, among them:
“Cáncer de ovario y angiogénesis: validación y caracterización funcional en modelos celulares de un perfil de expresión génica con capacidad predictiva de respuesta” (Ovarian cancer and angiogenesis: validation and functional characterisation in cell models of a gene expression profile with predictive response capacity). Health Investigation Fund (FIS), Carlos III Health Institute.
“Cáncer de ovario y angiogénesis: estudio de perfiles de expresión génica e inmunohistoquímica con valor pronóstico y predictivo de respuesta (PI070651)” (Ovarian cancer and angiogenesis: study of gene expression and immunohistochemical profiles with prognostic and predictive response value (PI070651)) Funding entity: Carlos III Health Institute.
“Identificación de perfiles de expresión génica diferencial relacionados con la angiogénesis entre el carcinoma de ovario primario y su metástasis” (Identification of differential gene expression profiles related to angiogenesis between primary ovarian carcinoma and its metastasis). Funding entity: Medical Research Fund Mutua Madrileña.
- Principal investigator:
“Marcadores inmuno-histoquímicos y su pronóstico evolutivo en la Endometriosis” (Immunohistochemical markers and their evolutive prognosis in endometriosis) with a grant from FIBHULP (Foundation for Biomedical Research of the University Hospital La Paz).
“Estudio de Factores de Pronóstico Evolutivo en la Endometriosis” (Study of evolutive prognostic factors in endometriosis) using Proteomics tools. Foundation for Biomedical Research of the University Hospital La Paz.