Dr. Miguel del Cerro, graduate in Medicine and Surgery from the Autonomous University of Madrid, is a Specialist in Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology.
With over 30 years of professional experience, his professional career has always been related to hand surgery, a field that he entered during his training as a resident, and which he mastered during his international stays in Paris (France) and Buenos Aires (Argentina).
After having led the Hand Surgery Unit of the Gregorio Marañón Hospital for 12 years, he currently carries out his work in the private field.
Research and constant updating in his field are his hallmarks. He was a pioneer in the development of wrist arthroscopy, and in fact organised the first national course on this technique in A Coruña, in 1992, training which he continues to provide today.
He has over 80 publications in scientific journals and over 120 lectures and seminars presented at different national and international conferences.
He is a member of several national and international associations of the speciality. Among the international associations are the FESSH (European Hand Surgery Association), the ASSH (American Hand Surgery Association) and the EWAS (European Wrist Arthroscopy Association). At a national level, he is a member of SECOT (Spanish Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology Association), the AEA, (Spanish Arthroscopy Association) and the SECMA (Spanish Hand Surgery Association), where he has acted as President and Vicepresident. The position that he currently holds in this association is President of the SECMA Foundation.
A strong advocate of superspecialisation within his area, he states that for a professional it is essential “to do what they know how to do, to do it well”.
Training, Degrees and Honours
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the Autonomous University of Madrid, 1976
- Specialist in Traumatology and Orthopaedic Surgery, as a Resident Medical Intern, at the Princesa Hospital, Madrid, 1977 – 1981
- CSIC scholarship at the Trousseau Hospital in Paris (France) with Dr. Masquelet and Dr. Romaña, 1990
- Community of Madrid scholarship at the Hospital del Norte in Tucumán (Argentina), with Dr. Rotella, 2004
- 5 national awards for different published works
- 2008 – present, Head of the Hand Surgery Unit of the Beata María Ana Hospital, Madrid
- 1996 – 2008, Head of the Hand Surgery Unit of the Gregorio Marañón Hospital, Madrid
- 1991 – 1996, Medical Director of Mutua Gallega de La Coruña
- 1991 – 1996, Head of Traumatology Service of Mutua Gallega de La Coruña, with a special dedication to hand surgery
- 1981 – 1990, Traumatology Assistant, Gregorio Marañón University Hospital, Madrid
- Management of various Microsurgery and Hand Anatomy courses.
- Since 2012 he has organised three courses each year in the Department of Anatomy of the Faculty of Medicine of the Complutense University of Madrid:
- Introduction to Wrist Arthroscopy
- Advanced Wrist Arthroscopy
- Treatment of hand coverage defects
Publications, conferences and seminars
- Over 80 publications in national and international scientific journals
- Over 120 communications and lectures presented at different national and international conferences
- Vice president of the SECMA (Spanish Hand Surgery Association), 2011 - 2013
- President of SECMA, 2013 - 2015
- Since 2015, President of the SECMA Foundation
- Currently participates in the development of a surgical technique for the repair of wrist ligaments through arthroscopy
Medical UnitHand and Wrist Surgery Unit
No hay tratamientos asignados a este profesional.