Dr. Hernán Cortés-Funes has a degree in Medicine and Surgery from Universidad Complutense de Madrid, specializing in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology, and is a Clinical Research Fellow at the National Cancer Institute (NIH), USA.
His extensive professional career, as well as his prolific research work, in particular his interest in developing new drugs, early clinical studies, clinical pharmacology and new treatments in breast, lung, head and neck cancer and germinal tumours, make him a leading reference in oncology both domestically and overseas. Indeed he is one of the highest authorities in our country in the field of Medical Oncology.
A founding member of the Spanish Medical Oncology Society (SEOM), he has held the positions of President of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO), President of the Federation of European Cancer Societies (FECS), and President of the Spanish Association for Cancer Research, as well as being a member of numerous organizations and cooperative groups. Also notable is the fact he was the founder and President of the International Breast Cancer Study Group (IBCSG).
He is the author of more than 200 publications on Medical Oncology, and is a frequent contributor to oncological journals.
His professional prestige has been recognized with the Top Doctors Awards 2016 in the specialty of Medical Oncology, placing him among the top 50 doctors in Spain.
Training, Qualifications and Honours
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1967
- Internal Medicine Intern, Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Madrid, 1967
- Specialist in Internal Medicine, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1970
- Ph.D. in Medicine and Surgery from Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1970
- Clinical Research Fellow, CTEP, National Cancer Institute (NIH), USA, 1975
- Specialist in Medical Oncology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1978
- European Certificate on Medical Oncology (ESMO), 1989
- Accreditation of Associate Professor of Medicine, National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation (ANECA), 2010
- 2015 - present, Senior Consultant in Oncology, Therapeutic Development Program, Research Institute, Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid
- 1989 - 2015, Head of Medical Oncology Service, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid
- 1989 - 2015, Associate Professor of Oncology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- 1977 - 1987, Head of Section and Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid
- 1975 – 1977, Clinical Research Fellows, Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP) Division Cancer Treatment (NCI), Bethesda USA
- 1971 - 197, Collaborating Physician, Medical Oncology Service, Fundación Jiménez Díaz
- 1967 - 1971, Internal Medicine Intern, Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Madrid
Publications, congresses and papers.
- More than 150 publications in international journals indexed in several areas of Medical Oncology, New Drugs, Breast, Lung, Head and Neck Cancers, and Germinal Tumours.
- Impact Factor: 524.57 - Citation Index: 1,076
- More than 50 publications in multi-author books
- Editor of 11 national and international scientific oncological journals, and author and editor of 5 books
- 1976: Founding Member of the Spanish Oncology Society (SEO)
- 1978: Founding member of the Spanish Medical Oncology Society (SEOM)
- 1980: Member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- 1985: President of the 4th European Conference on Clinical Oncology (ECCO5)
- 1987 - 89: President of the Federation of European Cancer Societies (FECS)
- 1989 - 91: President of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- 1990: Founding Member of the International Breast Cancer Study Group
- 1990: Member of the European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)
- 1991 - 92: President of the Spanish Medical Oncology Society (SEOM)
- 1991 - 2004: Member of the Board of Trustees of IBCSG Foundation
- 1991: Member of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- 1993 - 97: President and Founder of the Spanish Cancer Research Association (ASEICA)
- 1993 - 96: President of the Federation of Spanish Cancer Societies (FESEO)
- 1995 - 2011: President of the 1st-8th Madrid Breast Cancer Conference
- 1996: Member of the New Drugs Development Group, EORTC
- 1998 - 00: Founder of the Solid Tumour Intensification Treatment Group (SOLTI Group)
- 2000 - 2016: President of the 1st-9th European Spring Oncology Conference (ESOC)
- 2002 - 05: Chairman of SOLTI Group (currently Honourary Chairman)
- 2003 - 05: Coordinator of Program 9 (Development of New Drugs), Co-operative Research Thematic Networks (Carlos III Institute)
- 2012 - 2015: Coordinator of the Oncological Drugs Early Stages Unit (UFTO), Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid
Prolific research work in different areas:
• Develop New Anti-tumour Drugs:
o Early Clinical Studies (Stages I/II)
o Clinical pharmacology
• Study new treatments
• Breast cancer
• Lung cancer
• Head and neck tumours
• Germinal tumours
Medical UnitMedical Oncology Unit
No hay tratamientos asignados a este profesional.