Dr Rafael Llopis holds a degree in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Alicante, a PhD from the Autonomous University of Barcelona and a Fellowship in Knee Surgery (revision of knee prostheses), which he completed at The Hospital for Special Surgery (New York) and the Mayo Clinic (Rochester), in the United States.
His professional career as a specialist in Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, which he has complemented with several international stays in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Italy and the United States, stands out for his exclusive dedication to primary prosthetic surgery and prosthetic replacement for over 20 years.
He is a pioneer in the development of minimally invasive techniques for prosthetic hip surgery and in the use of new biomaterials in the surgical treatment of hip and knee arthritis.
The pathologies to which he devotes most of his clinical practice are revision surgery due to infection, primary surgery to preserve bone in the hip and knee (surface prostheses and unicompartmental prostheses), the treatment of dysplasia, and the use of materials and techniques that provide a longer duration of the implants.
An author of numerous articles for scientific journals, he is also a regular speaker at national and international conferences. In the field of teaching, he has collaborated in many courses related to the speciality.
He is a leading member of numerous international associations related to joint replacement surgery.
Training, Qualifications and Honours
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery
- Ph.D in Medicine and Surgery from Universidad Autónoma of Barcelona
- Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology Specialist
- Diploma in Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Medical College of Physicians of Universidad Autónoma of Barcelona
- University Specialist in Functional and Clinical Knee Anatomy, Universidad Complutense of Madrid
- Master’s Degree in Orthopaedic Surgery, UMDS, Central University London
- Master’s Degree - Higher Diploma in Hospital Management, Instituto de Empresa, Colegio de Dirección, Madrid
- Head of the Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatological Service
- Fellowship in Knee Surgery (revision of knee prostheses), The Hospital for Special Surgery (New York) and the Mayo Clinic (Rochester), United States
- Kent & Canterbury Hospital, Medway Hospital and Guy’s & St. Thomas, London (United Kingdom)
- Oskar Helen Hein Free University, Berlin (Germany)
- Hospedale Cívico di Lugano, Switzerland
Publications, Conferences and Papers
- Member of the Committee of Experts of the Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology
- Member of the Mexican Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology
- Author of several publications and speaker at national and international conferences
- Member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Member of the Spanish Society of Hip Surgery (SECCA) (former Secretary)
- Member of the Spanish Society of Knee Surgery (SEROD)
- Honorary Member of the Colombian Society of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology
- Corresponding Member of the Peruvian Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology-SPOT
- Development of minimally invasive surgical techniques in hip surgery
- New biomaterials in arthroplasties